|Original Air Date||March 10, 2014|
|Written by||Adam Reed|
|Animation Directed by||Bryan Fordney ( Animation )|
|Next||The Rules of Extraction|
Note: Neflix is currently streaming this episode out of order. However, the proper order is that of its original airing.
Archer embarks on a secret mission to Colombia.
Lana attempts to practice spoon-feeding her baby with Pam, before the duo are interrupted by Cherlene and Malory’s gripes about children. Malory notices several hundred pounds of cocaine missing, for which she initially blames Pam, though we learn that Archer, Ray and Cyril have actually taken the cocaine to Colombia in search of “La Madrina,” a cartel dealer who would likely buy most of their supply, if only they can find her.
Upon landing, the trio set out to a local tavern in search of intelligence on contacting La Madrina, as both Cyril and Ray realize that their current mission seems actually less morally ambiguous than their days at ISIS. Archer asks one of the bar patrons about La Madrina’s whereabouts, as the man suggests he can place a call to have a representative come meet them. Meanwhile, Krieger learns from social media that Ray and the others are in Colombia, informing a worried Malory of their intentions.
Hearing a truck pull up, Archer fakes being sick and drags the two into the bathroom, having realized that they’ve been sold out and that the paramilitary has arrived. The three sneak out the bathroom window, as Cyril is tasked with removing the enemy truck’s distributor cap before they speed off. A short while later, the group’s truck overheats, as the paramilitary forces catch up, Cyril having taken the washer fluid cap by mistake.
Archer is surprised to find the paramilitary lowering their weapons, before turning around to see the reason why; La Madrina and her forces have arrived, the beautiful buxom woman inviting Archer and his friends to negotiate back at her compound. On the way there, Archer blocks a call from a worried Malory with his latest voice mail prank, an elaborate recording of he and Ray fighting with added sound effects.
Archer and La Madrina flirt heavily as she confirms the cocaine’s purity, and accepts a deal with the group, before she and Archer head upstairs. The following morning, a tired-out Archer is astonished to learn that La Madrina is in fact deep undercover police, and has the three taken away to be sent to prison. Archer laments only that he never got to meet the woman’s tiger, as Cyril points out that they’re likely to be killed in prison to protect La Madrina’s cover. Back in the states, Lana admits to actually worrying about the trio, as Malory tearfully asks her to retrieve her son from Colombia.
- Starring :
- Guest Starring :
- Co Starring :
- After the three run out the window of the bar in Columbia, the angry troop chief smacks one of the guys with his hat and then the latter asks "Ay, que tiene adentro? Hebillas?" Which is Spanish for What's in there, buckles?, in refference to Malory's purse smackings followed up by the infamous question :))
- Title Explained: The title is in reference to the difficult time the trio experience trying to complete their mission. "Smuggler's Blues" is also the title of an episode of Miami Vice, an 1980's television show whose aesthetic is used in the advertising for Season 5.
- Archer mentions that his getting hit in the head with a fire extinguisher while taking over the controls of an airplane is exactly how Major League Baseball player Len Koenecke died.
- A former employee of ISIS is briefly shown sleeping on a bench outside The Tunt Mansion.
- The 1953 Iranian coup d'état, 1973 Chilean coup d'état, Guatemalan Civil War, Nicaraguan Revolution, and Soviet-Afghan War were mentioned by Archer when he was talking about the US Government allegedly doing evil deeds.
- Ray mentions the oil pipeline blown up during Once Bitten as an example of something bad done by ISIS.
- When Archer jumps through a window, he pays homage to Hal Needham, who was a stunt double for Burt Reynolds.
- Cyril correctly states that 100,000 Colombian pesos will exchange for roughly $50 US dollars (at the time of the episode's airing).
- The Colombian bar owner (who gives the order to call the paramilitarios) bears a striking resemblance to Danny Trejo.
- Pam's graffiti tag appears on the inside of the door to the back room of the Colombian bar.
- One of Woodhouse's single shell guns, used in the Burt Reynolds film "Gator" and loaned to Archer during "Pipeline Fever", was seen, and due to the nationality of its buyers suggests what form of payment Woodhouse received (heroin).
- Archer describes a Colombian necktie and sarcastically tells Cyril he is relieved he will not die without knowing what it is like to have one.
- One of the members of the Cali Cartel is wearing a Phi Mu sorority T-shirt.
- Archer employs another voice mail prank, but this time using Ray's voice mail greeting.
- Archer tells La Madrina that he expected her to look like a Mexican or Colombian Mrs. Garrett.
- The app on Krieger's phone called Snacklesnap is similar to Instagram, also incorporating one of the biggest uses of the app: people sharing photos of what they're eating.
- On the part where Krieger is explaining Snacklesnap to Malory, it says on his phone screen that he commented on Ray's picture, "May I have the snake?"
- The song that is playing in the background of the Colombian bar is "Gypsy Woman" by Cherlene.
- The cars at La Madrina's compound include a 1963 Ferrari 330 GTO, a Mercedes-Benz 300SL coupe, and a Lamborghini Countach LP400.
- The aircraft is a Cessna 172 Skyhawk.
- New York City, New York
- Malory: "Pam, you damned coke fiend!"
- Lana: "Malory, stop!"
- Malory: "I mean, did you used to be a man?"
- Lana: "Pam?"
- Pam: "I don't know. Did you?"
- Lana: "Have you been stealing coke?"
- Pam: "What? No! You think if I had 100 pounds of coke, I'd be sitting here playing choo-choo-spoon with a tranny?"
- Lana: "Oh, for the-- I'm pregnant!"
- Cherlene: "It said, baffling medical science. Ow!"
- Lana, Pam, Cherlene: "Oh, you were serious?"
- Krieger: "The whatever we are, gang who couldn't sell coke straight, doesn't even have cable."
- Malory: "But what about these?"
- Krieger: "They're all aimed inside the house."
- Malory: "Well what the hell good is that for?"
- Krieger: "Eh, I'm making about two grand a month on the GILF cam."
- Lana, Pam, Cherlene: "Ew."
Gallery of ImagesEdit
There are 6 screenshots and images from "Archer Vice: Smugglers' Blues" on this Wiki, visit the category page for a complete gallery.
Here is a sample of images from the gallery:
- "Archer Vice: Smugglers' Blues" on IMDB