|Southbound and Down|
|Original Air Date||February 24, 2014|
|Animation Directed by||Bryan Fordney ( Animation )|
Archer pays for an extravagant tour bus to get the gang to Texas for Cherlene's debut performance.
Malory decides to head for Texas after Cherlene has been booked on Travis County Limits, and she needs to go by bus, because Cherlene doesn't fly. They have about 36 hours to get from New York to Austin, but Archer insists that it will be closer to 24 by the time they get the bus and blocker car for the purpose of living out all his Smokey And The Bandit fantasies. Meanwhile, Krieger reboots Ray's bionic leg's CPU, allowing him to walk again- but also giving Krieger total control of his movements.
Pam, out of the desperate need to be wanted, informs a biker gang that the tour bus is carrying cocaine. This prompts the gang and corrupt cops to attack the bus but after an epic chase sequence, the group manages to evade them and bring Cherlene to the concert.
- Starring :
- Co Starring :
- Title Explained: The title of this episode is a reference to the song "East Bound and Down" by Jerry Reed. The song is best known as the theme for the 1977 movie Smokey and the Bandit starring Burt Reynolds.
- It is also a similar premise, as the group are smuggling Cocaine in Cherlene's tour bus, using a Trans Am to take attention away from the bus. Archer is also disguised as Burt Reynolds' character, Bo Darville, the eponymous "Bandit."
- Ray gets his legs to work again due to Krieger pressing a button. It is shown that Krieger can also control Ray's mobility, which he does by making Ray goose step to "Ride of the Valkyries" from the German opera Die Walküre by Richard Wagner.
- Austin City Limits is an actual public TV show. Austin, TX is actually in Travis County, Texas. (This explains Malory's "It's comparable!" line when Archer asks "Is that like...?)
- Colonel Mom Parker is in reference to Colonel Tom Parker who was Elvis Presley's manager.
- Archer can apparently change a bus tire in 9 minutes. Although the scene shows that Archer actually changed just the tire and apparently not the rim as almost all spare tires would be both already together. Changing just the rubber part would be much harder (basically impossible) to do on the side of the road without proper tools.
- The song Cherlene sang is "East Bound and Down" by Jerry Reed from Smokey and the Bandit. Jerry Reed also appears in the movie as Cletus "Snowman" Snow.
- Pam admitted that the reason why she continues to eat cocaine is because she wants to stay beautiful and skinny.
- Archer's Trans Am and the Brazos County Sherriff's car both have the same license plate number, the mysteriously ubiquitous 934TXS.
- Archer promises to bang Pam.
- Pam's CB handle "Snowball" is a reference to oral sex, as described (quite graphically) in the Kevin Smith film Clerks.
- Cherlene calls one of the bikers Treebeard, a reference to the character from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It is also a callback to a similar reference that was made in the Season 4 episode "The Wind Cries Mary".
- New York City, New York
- Cherlene: "I don't fly."
- Malory: "I... but-but I've seen you fly."
- Cherlene: "Well, maybe you saw Cheryl fly."
- Lana: "In a helicopter, the space shuttle..."
- Pam: "Cyril choke-banged you on a blimp."
- Lana: "I think part of it is because you didn't get him that CB McHaul toy truck he wanted for his birthday."
- Malory: "Wha... He was thirty!"
- Pam: "You mad?"
- Archer: "Give you three guesses Pam."
- Pam: "No? No? No?"
Gallery of ImagesEdit
There are 2 screenshots and images from "Archer Vice: Southbound and Down" on this Wiki, visit the category page for a complete gallery.