Archer goes to the Mexican border to find a notorious coyote, "Moreno". When "Moreno" is apparently Mercedes Moreno, a gorgeous woman, Sterling knocks Lana unconscious and shoots Cyril (after confirming he was wearing kevlar) and proceeds to help Mercedes and Chuy to continue moving the people they were smuggling, including Lupe. A brush with Border Patrol leaves Sterling to need medical attention from an alcoholic veterinarian. Eventually Mercedes reveals, via a note, that this was all a ruse, and her mother Maria Moreno was the actual coyote.
- Title Explained: The title of this episode is a satire to the film "Coyote Ugly."
- The scorpion in the foreground at the beginning is a callback to Season 1 Episode 9 of "Sealab 2021," "All That Jazz," wherein Captain Murphy befriends a scorpion (who he names Ben), while trapped under a fallen soda machine. Ben, in turn, was a reference to a movie about a boy befriending a murderous rat.
- The border patrol truck's license plate is "J 934TXS"
- Archer seems to have learned some Spanish by the time of this episode.
- As she tries to come up with a snappy line while capturing the border patrol, Mercedes Moreno echoes Archer's famous line (a recurring joke) "Wait, I had something for this," albeit in Spanish.
- Moreno means "Brown" in Spanish. The name of Mercedes' mother, Maria Moreno, may be a reference to Mary Brown Austin; The mother of Stephen F. Austin, known as the Father of Texas, she persuaded him to colonize Texas.
- Bilbo is alive in this episode, albeit momentarily. Malory slaps him which causes a fatal heart attack. Doctor Krieger is the only one who notices, but in an act of Schadenfreude, does nothing to help. In a previous episode, "Once Bitten", Bilbo's death is alluded to when Krieger defends his inability to use the satellite array to Malory: "Yeah, I don't actually know how any of this works. That was the fat guy you killed." According to production codes, this episode was supposed to be the second in the season, which explains the discontinuity. Despite this, the episodes remain in airing order on the Season 4 DVD, maintaining the discontinuity.
- Although the production codes suggest the episode is played in a different order than originally planned there is a second possibility. In the pilot (Mole Hunt) when archer walks into the control room and says: "Hey you geeks want to smell something", while holding the curry smelling shirt there are two shots showing 2 Bilbo's, front and back, divided by the geek that states: "Archer get the hell out".
- Another callback comes a moment later when Malory (hopefully idly) threatens to pump nerve gas through the vents. Lana eyes her warily, recalling perhaps actually finding a canister of gas in the air ducts in "Viscous Coupling".
- When Archer handcuffs Cyril to Lana he says, "Just like the Defiant Ones." The Defiant Ones was a movie in which two prisoners, one black (Sidney Poitier) and one white (Tony Curtis), escape while shackled to one another.
- Malory is seen drinking Glengoolie Black.
- The vet tells Archer to watch out for dehydration, internal bleeding, sepsis, MRSA, and feline AIDS.
- The border patrol agents use the term "spook" to refer to Archer as a spy. Archer mistakes it as an obscure racial slur used against Black people.
- Archer carves "DOM" on a rock using the butt of his knife, referencing the 1985 film Fandango (starring a young Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson and memorably ending with Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home"). Fandango is a film about five college students from Texas in 1971 who go on a "last" road trip together, celebrating the "privilege of youth" as they face graduation, marriage, and the draft for the Vietnam War. The students drive to the Mexican border to get "Dom", which turns out to be a bottle of Dom Perignon they buried when they were freshmen. The bottle is buried under a remote rock that has "DOM" scrawled on it.
- This is the first episode that openly questions the possibility that Archer may be autistic.
- When the border patrol car crashes, it hits the one small section of fence present and next to it is a sign that says (MORE FENCE COMING SOON!).
Gallery of ImagesEdit
There are 20 screenshots and images from "Coyote Lovely" on this Wiki, visit the category page for a complete gallery.
Here is a sample of four images from the gallery: