Archer, Lana, Ray, and Cyril head off in a submarine towards Sealab disguised as a news crew while Malory, Pam, and Cheryl stay behind on the ship after learning that Cecil is broke due to all the charities he gives donations to. Underwater, the four make it to Sealab to meet Murphy and Lana realizes Murphy doesn't have nerve gas. He holds her at knife point, causing Archer to point his gun at him. Murphy tells him not to fire since both the air and water pressure are too high and a stray bullet could cause a crack in the glass. When Murphy drops the knife, Archer engages the gun's safety, but it accidentally discharges due to Krieger messing with the labels. The shot shatters the glass, causing the room to flood.
Captain Murphy opens an escape hatch that leads the ISIS team to the cafeteria. Both Ray and Archer comment that they would kill to have a similar cafeteria in ISIS. Murphy is then shot out of the hatch with a wave of water that hits one of the vending machines, slamming it into Murphy hard enough that, if it was removed, it would kill him. Murphy tells the ISIS team to open a closet, revealing three sets of scuba gear. Murphy explains that the weakest swimmer must drown temporarily while the others head to the sub, which has a Manual External Defibrillator onboard. Initially, the team volunteers Lana, but, when Archer learns that Lana is pregnant, he gives her the last scuba suit, only asking her to be a better mother than Malory and admits his love for her.
Lana grabs Archer as the three move towards the sub. Ray and Lana use the defibrillator on Archer; Cyril is still angry at Lana after learning of her pregnancy. After being declared dead by Cyril, Archer wakes up, with both Ray and Lana expressing their relief (Lana even going so far as hugging Archer).
Back on board the Sea Tunt, nearly everyone celebrates their happy endings with Cecil decalaring that Sealab was insured for three times what it cost, making him richer than ever, Malory congratulating Lana on the pregnancy (Cyril declaring "three cheers for Little Johnny Bastard") and Archer ecstatic that he beat death. Ray protests, lamenting that his happy ending resulted in his being paralyzed again after Archer accidentally used the defibrillator on him, frying the CPU that controls his bionic legs.
- The title of this episode is a reference to the television series "Sealab 2021."
- Guest star Jon Hamm voices Captain Murphy.
- Guest stars Eugene Mirman (Cecil Tunt) and Kristen Schaal (Tiffy) voice characters alongside H. Jon Benjamin (Sterling Archer) in Bob's Burgers .
- The alias disguise 'Randy Magnum' that Archer uses could likely be a reference to Thomas Magnum from the 80's series Magnum P.I.
- The alias disguise 'Carl Channing' used by Ray is a reference to Carol Channing, a singer, actress, comedian, and gay rights advocate.
- The wrench held by Captain Murphy is a reference to Sealab 2021 , where they typically used wrenches to bash people over the head.
- The way Captain Murphy dies is similar to that of how Captain Murphy from Sealab 2021 was crushed by a soda machine in the episode "All that Jazz".
- The soda machine was named after Captain Murphy's original voice actor, the late Harry Goz.
- The lockers that contain the wetsuits include references to various voice actors from Sealab 2021, the labels shown are "B. Butler" (Brett Butler), "E. Henican" (Ellis Henican), and "K. Miller" (Kate Miller).
- According to Casey Willis, at one point all the wetsuits were labeled with Sealab characters but was changed at the last minute. It can be presumed that the characters were supposed to be Dr. Quinn, Stormy Waters, and Debbie DuPree as they were potrayed by the voice actors whose names are respectively labeled.
- Bucket Head Wendy, Captain Murphy's imaginary girlfriend on Sealab 2021, can be seen in the flooded break room immediately after Archer drowns.
- Captain Murphy drives a green cart similar to the one he drives in the Sealab 2021 episode "The Legend of Baggy Pants".
- Pam references the song "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by the band R.E.M.
- Archer's intentional drowning and later revival is an homage to The Abyss
- After Malory says "God bless corn subsidies," after drinking Pam's moonshine, Cheryl says "Who are you, Earl Butz?" Butz was Secretary of Agriculture under Richard Nixon, and advocated policies that greatly increased the production of corn and made agricutlure far more commercial and corporate. As a cautionary tale to Malory, it should be noted that his career ended after several racially insensitive slurs he made became public.
- The VX nerve gas-tipped missiles are what Ed Harris threaten to fire on San Francisco, in the movie, "The Rock".
- Ray tells Lana to watch it or Lana may not get a baby car seat; which she does from him and Kenny Loggins' bodyguard in Baby Shower.
Gallery of ImagesEdit
There are 2 screenshots and images from "Sea Tunt: Part II" on this Wiki, visit the category page for a complete gallery.