|Original Air Date||March 4, 2010|
|Animation Directed by||Mack Williams|
|U.S. Viewership (Millions)||0.72 |
After ISIS loses yet another lucrative contract to rival agency ODIN, Malory assigns Archer and Lana to embarrass ODIN by stealing a priceless diamond from their biggest client.
Plot summary Edit
The episode begins with Archer and Lana breaking into a large palace in San Marino on a mission from Malory (who called them as Archer had his cell phone on) to be security consultants by stealing a very large diamond from them in which they succeed in doing. To steal the diamond, Archer and Lana make use of several types of sophisticated equipment, including a code cloner and night vision goggles.
At ISIS Headquarters Sterling, Lana, and Malory are sitting in the Office awaiting a call from the client. In the break room Pam recovers from a hangover and almost blurts out loud Cyril's plan to marry Lana until he stops her. Just then Cheryl walks in and Cyril lies about Pam eating his muffin, to which Cheryl tells him to punch her in the gut which causes Pam to vomit (spitting out a key in the process). At the office the client a Captain-Regent, announces that he's hiring ODIN instead and ODIN's director Len Trexler interrupts and flirts with Malory.
Malory then tells Archer and Lana to break back into the palace to steal back the diamond. After that, Pam and Cyril decide to unionize ISIS, so that they can get better benefits, and a raise. Lana and Archer are seen in the ISIS armory looking for equipment but can't seem to find any due to the fact that the drones have gone on strike.
The ISIS employees then drive Malory into the elevator, where she is trapped. Somehow Archer and Lana make it out of the building. While at the palace, Archer starts talking about Burt Reynolds, and Deliverance. Lana breaks their cover by screaming out, "I know, he did his own stunts!" ODIN then attacks Archer and Lana. Archer is temporarily blinded when attempting to use night vision goggles that had not been calibrated properly, since the ISIS support staff that would normally calibrate equipment has gone on strike. Lana attempts to use a sound sensor, but finds that it too is not calibrated.
After negotiating with the ISIS employees Malory says that if it's alright with Archer and Lana, the employees can have their cost of living adjustment if Archer and Lana give up their bonuses. Krieger and Bilbo build a Sat-Com Link that can track Archer and Lana's location, and send in a helicopter, which destroys the brown diamond that Cyril bought for Lana.
- Starring :
- Guest Starring :
- Co Starring :
- When Cyril hits Pam in the stomach, she vomits up a key. He then mentions that getting hit in the stomach was how Harry Houdini died. Houdini's trademark way of escaping was to swallow the key beforehand and control his gag reflex later to retrieve the key. When Pam say, "Houdini died of AIDS", This may be an allusion to Paul Michael Glaser, who played Houdini in a TV movie. His wife and child died of AIDS, after a contaminated blood transfusion while giving birth to their first child. A lot of people thought "Starsky" had infected them and the dimmer people assumed he also died of it. Pam would fit in with that group.
- The humming in the background of Cyril's speeches to Pam and later the ISIS employees is to the tune of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", but in the context is more likely to be the song "Solidarity Forever", a socialist, pro-union anthem with the same tune, popularised by Pete Seeger.
- Archer refers to Lana as Eugene Debs while she is carrying him away from the blown robbery attempt. Debs was a prominent socialist and union organizer in the early part of the twentieth century.
- When Malory does away with the cleaning ladies, she retorts "How's that for bread and roses?" "Bread and Roses" was a possibly apocryphal slogan associated with the Lawrence strike of 1912, in which immigrant female workers struck for better wages and working conditions, which they mostly got. The strike is most famous for its invention of the moving picket line, used to this day, to prevent the strikers' arrest for loitering.
- The opening scene is a calque of the theft of the Pink Panther diamond in the opening scene of The Return of the Pink Panther (1975), starring Peter Sellers. In the film, the thief uses a crossbow to shoot a cable across the room and then uses the cable to slide across the floor to get to the diamond. The gem Archer and Lana are stealing resembles the Pink Panther diamond, although larger, and emits a similar pinkish hue.
- Burt Reynolds is referenced along with two of his movies: Deliverance (1972) and Gator (1976).
- Mulatto Butts - Archer leaves his cell phone on while breaking into a San Marino palace.
- Phrasing - Archer uses phrasing during Malory's conversation with Len Trexler.
- Man Hands - Several references to Lana's large hands are made by Archer and Pam.
- Man Crush - Archer shows obvious admiration for Burt Reynolds while referencing several of his movies.
- Len Trexler is voiced by Jeffrey Tambor who had previously voiced Torvald Utne in Killing Utne (s1e4).
- Archer says the strike against the cleaners is curry fury. This may be a reference to the episode Mole Hunt (s1e1).
- Archer is shot once again during an episode, this time by ODIN agents while fleeing the San Marino Palace. He was also shot in Skorpio (s1e6) and Skytanic (s1e7) making this the third episode in a row taking bullet wounds.
- Flammable and Inflammable do mean exactly the same thing...easily burns. Apparently Archer had to learn this the hard way.
- San Marino is a enclaved microstate surrounded by Italy. It's government is lead by a Captain Regent and as Malory states is very small, covering only 24 square miles making it the third smallest country in Europe.
- Malory is calling for Carol over the intercom before remembering she has changed her name ( again ) to Cheryl. Archer later also refers to her as Carol.
- The use of 934, 934TX, and 934TXS: The code cloner displays 934TXS when unlocked.
- During the meeting to discuss unionizing, there is a bin over Cheryl's shoulder labeled Pinchers of Peril, a reference to Data using them in The Goonies.
- During the meeting, when Cheryl says “That’s why I say no union”, Krieger replies “Yes! Confederacy forever!”, mistaking a labor union for the Union of the Civil War. This might explain why his narco sub is a copy of a Confederate Civil War sub. He also doesn’t know what a tampon is.
- Malory: "If we show San Marino the flaws in their palace security they've agreed to hire us as security consultants. And I'm sure I don't need to remind you that we haven't gotten one of these jobs since your Uffizi fiasco."
- Archer: "And yet you always do."
- Malory: "Because you learned nothing from it."
- Archer: "I learned that 'flammable' and 'inflammable' mean the same thing."
- Lana: "Wait, what?"
- (Pam sees Cyril's miniscule diamond ring.)
- Pam: "But is it supposed to be brown?"
- Cyril: "It's not brown, Pam. That color is called 'Champagne."
- Pam: "And why do you have it?"
- Cyril: "Because I am going to ask Lana... to marry me!"
- Pam: "And you're gonna give her that if she says no?"
- Trexler: "Ooh, Malory! Even on-- What is this, 1080p?-- you look as supple and as sexy as the day I first laid eyes on you."
- Archer: "Where, in a wax museum?"
- Malory: "This is the last time you make me out a fool, Len Trexler! You wanna play me hard?"
- Archer: "Phrasing."
- Trexler: "You know I do."
- Malory: "Well then you better nut up!"
- Archer: "Phrasing!"
- Malory: "Because I swallowed just about as much as I can take from you!"
- Archer: "Hey! Phrasing!"
- Malory: "They're not picketing the cleaners, they're picketing ISIS!"
- Lana: "What's their beef?"
- Malory: "Oh, the same entitled crap as always. 'I can't make ends meet.' 'I'm on food stamps.' 'My child died because I can't afford new bone marrow.' Just 'ME! ME! ME!'"
- Lana: "Jesus, whose kid died?"
- Malory: "Oh, who remembers. Check Pam's blog."
- Archer: "Frickin' ODIN, I can't believe this."
- Lana: "How many are there?"
- Archer: "About a jillion."
- Lana: "Dammit."
- Archer: "A jillion gay little copycats
- Lana: "What?
- Archer: "I mean, I didn't invent the turtleneck Lana, but I was the first to recognize its potential as a tactical garment."
- Lana: Awww...
- Archer: "The tactical turtleneck Lana..."
- Lana: "Archer..."
- Archer: "The... "Tactileneck.'"
- Pam: "Come on, Ms. Archer, you been in there ten hours. Meet us halfway and Krieger will let you out of there."
- Krieger: "Or else he will crank up the heat again!"
- Cheryl: "I love that you know how to do that."
- Krieger: "And I love that I have an erection... that didn't involve homeless people."
- (Referring to the destruction of the diamond he bought for Lana)
- Cyril: "Oh God Pam, two months salary..."
- Pam: "Cyril, you can't put a price on good pussy."
Gallery of ImagesEdit
There are 20 screenshots and images from "The Rock" on this Wiki, visit the category page for a complete gallery.
- "The Rock" on IMDB